Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Tank - Sex, Love & Pain

Tank - Sex, Love and Pain

This is Tank's third outing and its such a good effort.

His second album was blah for me and his debut effort was just okay helped along by the amazing song and video - Maybe i Deserve.

This is a grown up cd for us adults. It is unapologetically an R&B cd. And it isnt pretending to be a pop cd nor are there songs on this album that will be cross over hits. Its just songs about the title of this album - Sex, Love and Pain.

I know that Tank is a pretty good songwriter especially since he has penned songs for the likes of the late Aaliyah, Jamie Foxx, Chris Brown, Omarion and co but his vocal abilities i thought were just okay. I was wrong. He has a fabulous voice reminiscent of Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson.

There are 12 songs on this cd and a few of the stand out tracks for me are:
  • Please Don't Go - a song about yearning and his delivery just hits the spot
  • I Hate You - this uptempo number is actually bitterness personified but its a little hard to dwell on that since it so damn catchy
  • I'm Coming Home - is simply a beautiful song
  • Heartbreaker - this is the reason why i bought this album. Its just such an R&B track that had me thinking of the good old days of Boyz II Men, Keith Sweat etc
  • My Body - you would think that with a title like this, this would be a sexual song but its actually sweet. "My body is now your body". Its the ultimate in giving yourself over completely to another person.

I think that Tank could have done better especially since there are so many other artists trying to play in this same genre but i dont think its a bad attempt compared to the debacle that was his second album. He also produces most of the tracks on this cd. Interestingly, the only song i dont like on this album is produced by Timbaland and is the last track on the cd called I Love Them Girlz....

I score this a 7 out of 10

21 comments:

Ms. Catwalq said...

u know, I was just asking someone where allof them went. U know Tank, Jaheim, Case, etc

An-Igbo-Dude said...

dont think i know tank

not really into music

nice blog though

Aramide said...

mmm mm mm

why havent i come here

in fact im going to listen to that please dont go now - thanks for the review hon!

Tank sounds hot

BiMbyLaDs** said...

nah!! me and music.. odikwa enemie.. except Gospel and Kci and jojo.. lol

Mustafa Şenalp said...

çok güzel bir site.

Ms. Catwalq said...

eze okwu...biko, update now

The Enigma said...

Please dont go and I hate U are the business. Tank gotta love him. I think he needs 2 step up his game though. He is too good for where he's @.

shhhh said...

will check it out

7 said...

Hey Uzo, I used to be a stalker here cause I love the music reviews, especially the old skool. What is this I hear about you going?

Queen of My Castle said...

Wow, now you totally have me wanting to check out his album with a review like that, and I am not at all surprised that the only song on the CD you don't like is produced by Timbaland. I think Tim's music is for Teeny Boppers, but that's just my opinion.

Edirin said...

LOVING THIS BLOGG,KEEP DOIN YA THING

NigeriaPolitricks.com said...

I know Jaheim, Case, but dis Tank guy, gotta check him out!

Girlie said...

would agree with you!!!Heartbreaker is the one for me....

good review. good blog too

xxx

Mustafa Şenalp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
O'seyi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
O'seyi said...

Oh no.. i mistakenly deleted my prior comment. i often read blogs but never comment... but i have to say, i really like this album! Glad someone understands me...

Sam Oracle said...

I'm not really a fan of his or maybe I've not given his music the chance.

Unknown said...

nice

Anonymous said...

I love tank

laspapi said...

been more than a year now, since you wrote here...Tempus Fugit...

Jennifer A. said...

Miss ur old blogging habit! :)