Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Marian Keyes - Sushi for Beginners

So i am resurrecting this blog more for me....

A lot of people derive pleasure from surrounding themselves with people, drinking, clubbing etc. But i am a loner and love nothing more than to curl up with a good book, or movie or some good music and i am good. When i hang out, i like to do quiet things - restaurants, lounges, plays et all. So here we are....

Marian Keyes is an author i enjoy immensely. I was introduced to her in my university days when i read "Lucy Sullivan is getting married". Hilarious.

In the mood for some light "chick lit", i picked up this book and it was worth every moment.

The book revolves around 3 women going through ish.....

There's Clodagh who is fulltime housewife with 2 hyper active kids, Lisa - a glamorous London magazine editor shipped off to Dublin to start a magazine instead of to New York which she expected and Ashling - a compulsive Ms Fix-it that lands a job as Lisa's assistant. Ashling is also Clodagh's best friend.

The lives of these 3 ladies intersect with hilarious and life altering results. There are men, juicy scandals, fashion tips, bitchiness and broken hearts. What i especially love about Marian Keyes is the fact that underneath all the humour, ease of reading and "lightheartedness", she touches on real issues. The most poignant for me is the fact family history play a huge part in who each of these women is...

A lovely book with all the things that make for fun reading but with a little food for thought as well..

I would rate this 7 out of 10

4 comments:

Daddy's Girl said...

It's weird that I've never read Marian Keyes, almost every woman I know has... will have to try one of her books soon. I'm interested in your upcoming review of Monica's latest. Monica is one of those artists who's been around a long time and doesn't seem to get much attention... but let me wait till your review before I say what I thought of her new stuff. Random irrelevancy: I hate that scarf she's wearing on the album cover, or I should say I hate the way she wears it.

Daddy's Girl said...

I like the new look, by the way.

LondonBuki said...

I think I have Read ALL(but Under The Duvet and its sequel) her books... I got her earlier ones from Ebay a few years ago and have read her newer ones too...

I must say the earlier books are better like this one...

Ore said...

I read this book too. I enjoyed it, though not as much as Last Chance Saloon.