Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Amazing Grace



I finally got round to seeing this movie over the weekend.

This is the first Nigerian movies to be shot on 35mm and is directed by Jeta Amata. Its stars Fred Amata, Joke Jacobs and there is a cameo by Zack Amata.

I have to say that as i watched this movie, i was filled with pride. Pride in the beauty of Cross River State, pride in the beauty of the language and of our custome depicted in the movie.

I have to say though, that the movie was just okay for me. It isnt as interesting or engrossing as some of the better Nollywood efforts but obviously, the quality is a lot better. Joke Jacobs in the narrative is great as always. She has excellent command of the english language so listening to her is always a pleasure.

The premise of the story - about John Newton, the slave trader that is touched by a particular cargo of slaves and based on the folk song sung by these people, goes onto to pen Amazing Grace to that same music is believable but not perfectly executed. I didnt really feel Nick Moran's performance so much. I didnt feel the truth of his conversion. Fred Amata's performance was just okay. I have no knowledge of the Efik language but i got the feeling that his accent was off and his words forced. The best acting has to go to the beautiful young woman that played Ansa. I felt her bewilderment at their plight and at John Newton.

This movie is beautifully shot and takes advantage of the scenery of Cross River State. I know that Donald Duke must be so proud. The music in this movie is amazing. This is a soundtrack i would love to own. Sammie Okposo is to be commended in this regard.

I would give this movie a 6 out of 10. Not the most engaging plot but the beauty of the scenes, the fact that the movie stayed true to Nigerian customs and the authenticity with majority of the movie in Efik are a major plus here.

4 comments:

LondonBuki said...

I am first!!! LOL!!!

I think TMinx said she watched this movie too...

Bella Naija said...

Oh London Buki has 'launched' the blog by claiming the first comment...:( lol
anyway, I cant wait to see this movie!~
Thanks for the review...lookin forward to more reviews ciao

Gramps said...

Haven't seen the movie myself but reviews from friends haven't been that encouraging. They admit the production quality was much better than Nollywood movies but say the plot wasn't too "tight"....

BTW, you view weekly schedules of Nigerian Cinemas here

Uzo said...

@LB: Congrats on being the first ever to comment

@Bella Naija: Let me know what you think when you see the movie

@Gramps: Thanks for the link to the now showing movies.....